At the September 2016 Castro Valley Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) meeting, in addition to learning about specific process improvements coming to the Castro Valley BPAC, we got a list of upcoming crosswalk improvements.
There are two different types of improvements coming. Some streets will get a bulb-out and a high visibility crosswalk: bulbouts shorten the crossing distance for pedestrians, while also providing them with a better and safer vantage point from which to see the oncoming traffic.
The list of intersections getting bulb-outs and a high-visibility crosswalk are:
- Redwood Road and Alma Avenue
- Redwood Road and Buti Park Drive (also with flashing beacons)
- Kent Street and Santa Ana Road (bulb-out only)
- Lake Chabot Road and Carlton and Arcadian (also with flashing beacons)
- Miramar and Crest Avenue
Several other intersections are getting flashing beacons and a high visibility crosswalk:
- A Street and Ruby Street
- Center Street (mid-block)
- Center Street and Gem Avenue
- Grove Way and Queen Street
- Heyer Avenue and Alana Road
- Lake Chabot Road and Lake Chabot Marina Entrance
- Miramar Avenue and Saratoga Street
There are still more intersections in sore need of a better crosswalk — which ones would you like to see upgraded? Let us (BikeWalkCV@gmail.com) and Alameda County Public Works (firstname.lastname@example.org) know what you need!